Saturday, January 2, 2010

Keeping His Place

Steve is a Stephen King fan, so when I found out that he had a new novel out I made sure that I got it for him for Christmas. It turns out that Under the Dome is over 1,000 pages long - which, of course, makes it harder for a guy who doesn't usually use a bookmark to keep his place to in fact - keep track of where he is in the book.



Steve's new book next to his iPhone - for perspective purposes

The realization of the need for a bookmark came the first night that Steve was reading the book. Knowing that I have quite the collection of bookmarks, I headed out to my desk to find one he could use. As I was looking through them, I hear him ask "Do you have any that aren't too girly?" and of course being a girl - all of my bookmarks are pretty darn girly.



Today I had a bit of inspiration while taking down all of our Christmas cards and wondering what in the world people do with all of these cards after the season is over. I went to put the cards away with all of the other cards we have accumulated, and decided that I would make Steve a bookmark out of one of our old cards we had received. A quick search through the pile found a Simpsons card he received for his birthday - PERFECT! I went to work and cut out Homer eating pancakes in the shape of a bookmark, which left a rectangular hole in the card.





I mounted the cut-out to a sheet of card stock, held it in place and smoothed over it with some Mod Podge, and VOILA! Steve is now the proud owner of a Homer Simpson bookmark.



So now Steve has a bookmark for his ginormous book (and future reads as well), and I have come up with a fabulous new idea for all of those old cards I have stored up. Everybody wins!

5 comments:

kat said...

What a huge book. How is Steve liking it so far?
How crafty of you to make Steve his very own "manly" bookmark out of an old greeting card. Totally love your idea.

Nikki Neurotic said...

Steve will have to let us know how the book was. I'm thinking of getting it...after I finish up the books on my shelf.

Amy Carroll said...

We have so much in common! I LOVE bookmarks, I'm reading through the Bible this year with my family and I ran a 5K to celebrate my 40th birthday even though I'm usually a couch potato. If I can do it, you can definitely do it. I have to confess, though, that I've hardly run since. Such a shame!!

Amy

Sadie said...

What a big book!! Have you seen the corner bookmarks? I use them because I fall asleep sometimes when I'm reading and I don't want to lose my page. You just put it on the page you're reading (or every few pages so you don't have to keep moving it), and viola! :)

I found you on the swap-bot blog swap. I am nelliebugsdotcom and I'm now following you! http://nelliebugs-swaps.blogspot.com If you'd like to be pals on any other network (Twitter, FB, Myspace), just let me know!

Deborah said...

I am from swap-bot and one of your partners for the follow my blog swap.

I love the idea for the bookmark. I have never thought of that!

Deborah (debrbrts)