Monday, April 9, 2012

Raspberry Lime "Rickeys"

When I was a teenager, my friend Laura and I would often have sleepovers at each other's houses. The times that we stayed at her house, we would often find ourselves at 11:00 PM deciding to make a batch of raspberry lime rickeys. Recently during a conversation, she and I decided that it was about time to update the recipe to accommodate for things that we have since learned about things like... you know... way too much sugar in a beverage.

So... I did. The end result is no where NEAR as sweet as what we made as kids or what you get from your local ice cream stand, but it's still pretty tasty (hey - it passed the "Steve likes it!" test at home, so I think it stands up.

At any rate... Laura B. - my "sistah from anothah mistah" - this one is for you, me, George Carlin and the Muppets (the latter two are esoteric memories that no one will understand except us...)

Healthified Raspberry Lime Rickeys 
(makes 3)

Ingredients:
- 1 - 12 oz. bag frozen raspberries (I used Trader Joe's Organic)
- 2-3 limes
- 1 tbsp. honey
- 1 - 1 liter bottle lime-flavored seltzer water
- 1 cup water, divided

My LG Optimus V has the BEST CAMERA PHONE EVER... (not...)


Method:
- Combine the frozen raspberries, juice from 2-3 limes, 1 tbsp honey, and 1/2 cup water in blender.
- Blend on "puree" or "liquify" setting until it begins to smooth.
- Slowly pour in the other 1/2 cup water. Continue on "puree" setting until smooth.

Whirrrrrr....
- Fill 3 standard sized pub-glasses about halfway up (about 6 oz. each) with the lime seltzer.
- Slowly pour the raspberry-lime puree over the top of the seltzer (similar to a root beer float). Gently push the puree into the seltzer with a straw.
- Serve.
Mmmmm... delish!

When I made this last night, I realized that the puree easily makes enough for 3 people... but there were only 2 of us and I only had a can of seltzer. The adjustment for the liter of seltzer came after realizing I had more puree than I did seltzer. Another adjustment you could easily make that makes it way less healthy but way more "adult" is to add a shot of either white or coconut rum... I'm sure that it would be absolutely delicious. Like I said though - it does take away from that whole "healthy" thing.

Either way - this beverage is delicious and refreshing. I can't wait to try this over the summer and sip it out on our front porch. Hopefully, I did some justice to the raspberry lime rickeys that Laura and I had when we were teenagers... if she tries this out, she'll have to let me know!


No comments: