Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Bite-Sized Snackers

A few weeks ago, I decided that I wanted to try my hand at making a savory mini-muffin. I have no idea what inspired me to do this, maybe it was the half of a red-bell pepper that was leftover in the vegetable drawer and maybe it was a craving for a snack. Either way, I whipped up a quick snack for Steve & I that was pretty good and easy to make.

Savory 2-Bite Snackers
(Makes 1 dozen mini-muffins)

Ingredients:
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup finely chopped sweet onion
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 1 tsp minced garlic (from a jar - I'm really high-class)
- 1/8 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup shredded asiago OR shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tbsp grated parmesan cheese (AKA "Shaky Cheese" that you put on pasta)
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp water
- 1/2 tsp dried basil


Batter never looks appetizing, does it? At least not unless it's cookies. Or brownies.


Method:
- Preheat oven to 350 and coat a mini-muffin pan with cooking spray.
- Combine first 8 ingredients in a medium mixing bowl (flour through salt).
- Add the egg and fold into dry ingredients until combined.
- Add the cheese and combine into mixture.
- Add EVOO, water, and basil and combine into batter.
- Distribute batter evenly in the 12 "cups" of the mini-muffin pan.
- Cook in 350 degree oven until toothpick comes out clean (about 9-12 minutes).
- Serve with warm spaghetti sauce for dipping.

Warm from the oven.


These are really tasty and can be addicting (there, I warned you). When I made them, the first thing that Steve noticed about them is that they almost taste like they have cornmeal in them. I think that's a combination of the whole wheat flour and the grated parmesan cheese, but it's a really cool texture.

Ready to eat!

Dipping them in the warm spaghetti sauce (we use Trader Joe's Tomato Basil marinara) adds a great extra flavor to the snack. Give these a try - if you don't have a mini-muffin pan, you might be able to make a dozen "cookies" out of them as well. I haven't tried that yet, but if you do - let me know how it works out!

No comments: