Saturday, January 1, 2011

Setting the Bar for 2011

Today is the first day of the new year, and I am excited to say that I spent it with Steve setting up our budget and then having a day-date pilgrimage to Foxboro to hang out at Patriot Place. It was indeed a great start to the year.

The last few days I've been wondering what exactly it is that I want to accomplish this year, and truthfully I've been a bit stumped. This morning as I stood in my office I realized that there are 4 things that I want to do and getting them down in a written form is a good first step in getting going with them. In no particular order of importance, here are the things that I want to accomplish sometime in the next 365 days.

1. Finish the "Afghan of Doom". I taught myself to crochet about 8 or 9 years ago and it was right about that time that I bought a bunch of yarn and decided I was going to make myself an afghan using nothing but double crochet stitches and an "H" hook. To this day I have still not finished that blasted afghan and I'm pretty sure I haven't set a stitch into the thing in over a year. Rather than have an unfinished project continue to take up space in my closet, I'm going to finish the thing before the year is out. Period. This goal is non-negotiable. I'm tired of the doubt I have in my heart and mind that the blasted thing will ever be done - it must happen.

You're mine this year, Afghan of Doom. Be prepared to be completed.


2. Study at least one book of the Bible per month start to finish. As I mentioned in my post re-capping my 2010 goals, I did not complete this goal this year. I did end the year having spent more time in God's word than ever before and really enjoyed the time I spent studying scripture. What I did learn through this (besides not having a plan and not setting aside time being key factors to incompletion), is that there are several books of the Bible that I definitely want to dive into and spend time in. Among these are Isaiah, Jeremiah, Acts, Revelation (to name a few)... I really think that if I plot out at least one book to read and study per month, that will be significantly more attainable for me than trying to read the whole book in a year on my own. I know my own limits, I know how I spend my time, it's best to take a moderate step on this and surprise myself later rather than a huge leap.

3. Read at least 15 books before the year is through. Last year I set out to read more than I did in 2009, and I increased my total from 4 books read in 2009 to 13 books read in 2010. This year I'd like to read at least 15 books; considering I used to be an absolutely voracious reader and I love reading - this one is one I think I can achieve.

These poor books just want to be read... don't they look sad and lonely?


4. Run in two 5K races and achieve progressively better times. I ran in my first 5K race in 2010, and I loved it. I have grown to really enjoy running and can feel myself getting stronger and being able to run longer. Having said that, this year I'd love to be able to run in at least 2 races and improve my time with each one. My first time was 37:48, so I think that's something I can definitely succeed in as well.

Four seems to be a good number for me, so I'm going to keep it to this list for things that I want to accomplish this year. I'm excited about them. Now if you'll excuse me... I have a cup of tea, a pile of yarn and a crochet hook in the other room waiting to be paid attention to. Might as well get right down to work!

Happy New Year, Everyone!

No comments: