Friday, October 8, 2010

Can't Do This Fully... But...

Because I just heard about this idea yesterday and my birthday is today... I didn't really have a ton of time to get the word out about it.

However... I love the idea and hope that I can remember it for next year.

I read yesterday on Mark Batterson's blog about this concept of giving up your birthday to causes close to the heart of God. Specifically, the cause referenced is one that provides clean drinking water to communities around the globe that don't have it - something that is huge. I've been reading "The Hole in Our Gospel" and in it Richard Stearns of World Vision talks about how big of an impact having clean drinking water can have on a community. It can be the difference between being able to have access to health care and education and not having that access; those are things we take for granted as Americans.

So... I know it's short notice, but I am hoping/wondering if you would consider donating towards one of the causes below in honor of my 30th birthday.

Charity Water:  This is an organization whose mission it is to get clean drinking water to areas that need it. As I already mentioned - having access to clean water can have a giant impact on the community. The link to their organization can be found here: Charity Water.

St. Jude's Children's Research Hospital: Steve and I firmly believe that every child deserves a shot at having a fun, rich childhood. Because of that we have donated regularly to St. Jude's for years. If you become a Partner in Hope (monthly gift of $30.00 or more) they will send you heart-touching stories of children whose lives have been touched by the amazing work that St. Jude's does. The link to St. Jude's can be found here: St. Jude's Children's Research Hospital.

Sponsor a Child: There are several places that you can reach out to in order to sponsor a child. This allows a child to have access to medical care, education, and nutritious food. Steve and I sponsor a child through Servants for Haiti, a group that several of our friends are actively involved in. I also know people who sponsor children through Compassion International. This is such an important thing to do for kids who might not otherwise be provided for. Their websites can be found here: Servants for Haiti, Compassion International.

If you are moved to donate to any of these causes, that's awesome. These organizations have powerful missions and are making great changes to the people of the world. If you know of anyone else who might be interested in donating to these causes or sponsoring a child, feel free to send them the link to this post.

No comments: